The torrent of unwanted messages and spam posts on Facebook from annoying family members, friends, creepy strangers, and a multitude of “liked” or “followed” pages can be a real problem at times. So if you are looking to block someone on Facebook and get your peace of mind back, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will teach you how to block someone on Facebook in a few easy steps.
How to Block or Unblock Someone on Facebook
We will show you how to block and unblock users on Facebook using both desktop and mobile apps. We will also show you how to block or unblock Facebook business pages if you want to prevent your timeline from filling up with every small update from that company. So without further ado, let’s get started.
What Happens When You Block Someone on Facebook?
If someone is bothering you on Facebook, you can block that account to prevent any further interaction with that person. But, some of you might wonder — what exactly does blocking someone on Facebook mean? According to the social networking giant, blocking someone on the platform will stop all future interactions with that account.
“Once you block a Page, that Page can no longer interact with your posts or like or reply to your comments. You won’t be able to post on the Page or message the Page. If you like the Page, you’ll unlike and unfollow it…. If you are friends, blocking (them) will also unfriend (them)”, says Facebook. Once you block someone, they won’t be able to:
See things that you post on your profile.
Tag you in posts, comments, or photos.
Invite you to events or groups.
Start a conversation with you.
Add you as a friend.
Blocking is in addition to the “Unfollow”, “Unlike”, and “Unfriend” options that you get on Facebook. Here’s how you go blocking users on the Facebook website and mobile apps:
Block Someone on Facebook (Website)
As we have mentioned already, you can easily block or unblock anyone on Facebook, either on the website or on the mobile apps on Android or iOS. Here’s how you go about it on the desktop website:
- Log in to the Facebook website (visit link) and click on your downward arrow at the top-right corner. Then, click “Settings & Privacy” on the slide-out menu.
- Now, go to ‘Settings‘.
- Next, click on “Blocking” on the left sidebar. And on the right pane in the “Block users” section, enter the name of the person you don’t want to stay in touch with and then hit “Block“.
- You will now be presented with a list of names matching your entry. From the list that shows up, find the person you want to block. Then, click the “Block” button next to their name.
- You will now be asked to confirm your action. Do so by clicking on the “Block [name]” button on the next page.
If you can’t block someone using the method above, you can follow the method below to block them on Facebook:
- First, go to the business page/ account you want to block and click on the three-dot menu button under their profile picture. In the pop-up menu that appears, select “Block” to permanently block that person for good.
- You will then be asked to confirm your choice. Do so by hitting the blue “Confirm” button, and you will have banished that person from your timeline for good.
You can block all personal accounts and business pages on Facebook using this method.
Unblock Someone on Facebook (Website)
If you want to unblock someone you had previously blocked on Facebook, follow the steps below to unblock them using the website:
- Go to Settings and Privacy -> Settings -> Blocking as described in the first segment above. Under the “Block users” section, you will see a full list of all your blocked friends, family members, or pages. Click on the “Unblock” option next to the relevant name.
- You will be presented with a confirmation dialog, so click on the “Confirm” button to unblock that account.
That’s it! You now know how to block or unblock anyone and any page on Facebook. Do remember that you will have to wait at least 48 hours before you can re-block that particular account.
Block Someone on Facebook Mobile App (Android and iOS)
You can also block people on Facebook using Android or iOS mobile apps. We will demo the steps to block someone on the Android app, but the method is identical on both platforms. There’s only one minor divergence, and we have mentioned it in our tutorial. So, follow the steps below:
- Open the Facebook mobile app and navigate to the profile of the person you want to block. Then, tap on the three-dot menu icon under their profile picture.
- On the next page, tap on “Block” and then confirm your action by tapping on “Block” once again on the pop-up menu. And that’s it. You have successfully blocked someone on Facebook.
- Open the Facebook app on your phone and tap on the hamburger menu (three parallel lines). On Android, this will be at the top-right corner (see left screenshot), while on iOS, this will be at the bottom-right (see right screenshot).
- On the next page, scroll down to the bottom and select “Settings and Privacy -> Settings” in both cases.
- Now scroll down and select “Blocking” on the Settings page. Then tap on “Add to Blocked List” if you are using the Facebook Android app. On iOS, you won’t need this additional step, so just skip to the next step.
- Now type in the name of the person you are trying to block and go through the list of names that Facebook will suggest based on your entry. Identify your target name and hit the “Block” button next to it. Finally, confirm your selection by hitting “Block” on the next pop-up.
That’s it! You have now successfully blocked someone you no longer want to be part of your online social life. You have now blocked that person from seeing any of your posts or tagging you in their posts.
Unblock Someone on Facebook Mobile App (Android and iOS)
Unblocking someone on Facebook is just as easy on mobile as it is on the desktop site. Here’s how you do it:
- Retrace your steps and go to Settings and Privacy -> Settings -> Blocking as described in the previous segment. Now, hit “Unblock” next to the name of the person or page you want to unblock. Finally, confirm your selection on the pop-up box.
That’s it! You have successfully unblocked someone on Facebook using the mobile app.
Block People to Stop Spam and Unsolicited Posts on Your Facebook Timeline
Alongside the blocking feature, you can also prevent interactions with unwanted people on Facebook using a couple of other options. You can either take a break from someone on Facebook or hide your Active status from targeted individuals to prevent them from knowing when you’re online. So go ahead, prevent interactions with annoying people on Facebook using the method of your choice and let us know about the option you chose and why.