Are you trying to limit your subscription budget? Well, we all know that Netflix is one of the priciest OTT services in many countries, so I won’t blame you for thinking it’s the one burning a hole in your pocket. However, Netflix has recently slashed prices in many countries to benefit from the intense competition with other streaming services. You can check how much Netflix costs in each country and decide if you wish to cancel your Netflix subscription, or change your membership plan, instead. This article will explain how to cancel your Netflix subscription and other things you should consider while doing it. So, if you are ready to save some bucks, let’s begin.
Cancel Netflix Subscription (January 2022)
Canceling a Netflix subscription requires you to access the account settings, which requires a web browser. So, if your device can access a web browser, you can cancel your Netflix membership in a few easy steps. So, alongside the important points to remember after canceling your subscription, let’s take a look at how to cancel your Netflix subscription on Android, iOS, and desktop PCs.
How to Cancel Netflix Subscription in Web Browser
Canceling your Netflix subscription is a straightforward and short process. However, it does not come into effect directly. Netflix lets you enjoy the subscription until your billing cycle comes to an end, even after you cancel your membership. Keeping that in mind, it’s better to think about the cancellation in advance to avoid any extra charges.
If you are determined to stop using Netflix, here are the steps you need to follow to cancel your subscription using a web browser on your Mac, Windows, or Linux laptop or desktop PC.
- Sign in to Netflix from a web browser of your choice. Now, hover over the profile icon on the top-right corner and click “Account“.
- Here, you will see the “Cancel Membership” option under the “Membership and Billing” section.
- Click on it and confirm your cancellation on the next page. You need to click the “Finish Cancellation” button to stop your membership on the streaming platform.
This page will prompt the discontinuation date, which is also the end of your current billing cycle. Also, Netflix doesn’t want its customers to leave the platform for good. Therefore, they store your viewing preferences for 10 months from the date of cancellation. You can restart your membership anytime and resume your experience as you left it.
Note: If you don’t see the “Cancel Membership” option, it means your subscription is handled by a third-party client like your smart TV company or internet service provider (ISP). In such cases, contact the service provider to cancel your Netflix subscription.
How to Cancel Netflix Subscription on Android
The Netflix app on Android has some exclusive settings similar to the desktop app. However, most of it caters to downloading content for offline viewing and limiting data usage. However, to change other account-related settings, you will be redirected to a browser page. You can navigate through the Netflix app to access the Account settings by following the steps below:
- Log in to the Netflix app on your Android device. Tap on the profile icon at the top-right corner.
- Select “Account” from the list of options on the profile page. It will redirect you to the Account setting page in a web browser. Yeah, the Netflix Android app does not include the account settings, and you will now see a similar cancellation flow as the browser method we have explained above.
- Then, scroll down and click the “Cancel Membership” option.
- Finally, on the next page, confirm the cancellation by tapping the blue “Finish Cancellation” button. Then, Netflix will show you a confirmation message, saying – “We’ve canceled your membership“.
How to Cancel Netflix Subscription on iPhone
Netflix doesn’t allow you to change the account settings from your iPhone, iPad, or other streaming devices. Therefore, you will require to log in to Netflix using a web browser on your Android phone or PC to access these settings. Then, follow the same process described for the web browser section.
If you open the Netflix app on your iPhone and tap the profile icon at the top-right corner, you will see the page in the left screenshot below. Here, select “Account”, and you will see a message reading – “Looking for your account settings? Please go to Netflix on the web to manage your account.”
How to Cancel Netflix Subscription on Smart TV
Just like the iPhone or iPad, Netflix does not let you access the account settings page from within the app on your smart TV or streaming devices. So, again, you will need to log in to your Netflix account from a browser window and follow the steps detailed in the web browser section above.
Things to Remember when Canceling Netflix Subscription
Staying away from your monthly dose of entertainment can be annoying. So, if you are taking this decision in the heat of the moment, here are a few things you should remember about canceling your Netflix subscription:
- The cancellation comes into effect after the end of your current billing cycle.
- Uninstalling or not using Netflix will not cancel the subscription or membership. You will need to follow the steps detailed in this guide to not subscribe to the streaming service and save your money.
- Your data is stored with Netflix for 10 months if you wish to restart your membership in the future.
- You will have to pay for the upcoming month in advance if you choose to resume the membership.
- Change your Netflix account password if you have a shared account to prevent someone else from renewing the subscription without your notice.
- If you don’t have an automatic payment option, you can skip further payments without canceling the plan. It won’t cost you extra when you rejoin or renew your membership.
- If your account is on hold, the cancellation will be effective immediately.
- Suppose you have used a gift card or promotional offer to access Netflix. In that case, the streaming service will continue the plan until the card balance is exhausted. After that, you can choose whether you wish to continue the membership and enjoy the best movies and best TV series on Netflix.
Change your Netflix Membership Plan Instead
Netflix has multiple tiers of subscription plans. So, if you are using the Premium or Standard plan, you can downgrade it to the Basic plan to save some bucks. And in some countries like India, Philippines, or Vietnam, you could also go for a cheaper mobile-only plan to further maximize your savings. That entirely depends on your initial objective of canceling your Netflix subscription. Here is a comparison of the three main Netflix plans and the benefits they offer to the viewers.
If you are ready to compromise on device restrictions and lower video quality, changing to a cheaper plan is better to cut your costs. This way, you won’t have to sacrifice the binge-watching experience pioneered by Netflix.
Stop Netflix Subscription: Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cancel Netflix on my phone?
You can navigate to the account settings option from the Netflix app on your phone, which will open the settings in a browser. There isn’t a direct way to cancel the Netflix subscription from within the app on your phone, especially on iPhone. Besides, uninstalling the app will not help.
Will Netflix charge me if I cancel my subscription?
There is no extra charge to cancel a Netflix subscription. However, you can use your plan until the last date of the billing cycle since there is no refund for your existing subscription.
How do I stop auto-renewal on Netflix?
You can use a payment method that requires authentication for every payment, like a debit card. Otherwise, you can cancel the “standing instruction” for Netflix payments via internet banking or will have to ask your bank provider to cancel the payments for Netflix. The last option is to cancel the subscription to avoid extra billings.
Can I cancel Netflix anytime?
Yes, you can cancel your Netflix account at any time. However, signing out of Netflix or uninstalling the app won’t cancel your subscription.
Easiest Ways to Cancel Netflix Subscription
There might be numerous reasons for you to cancel your Netflix subscription. It might be moving to another country, collaborating with other family members to use a single account, or you want to give other Netflix alternatives like Disney+, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video a chance. In any case, the process to cancel a Netflix subscription is quicker than cooking two-minute noodles. We discussed all the steps in this article and hope they help you stop your membership. If this guide proved helpful, don’t forget to share it with your friends and family in need. Also, if you have any queries, let us know in the comments below, and we will help you out.